Does someone you know have trouble hearing you or other sounds which you find easier to hear? There are some simple ways to test for a hearing impairment yourselves, before seeking advice and treatment from an audiologist.
Preliminary hearing tests to try together at home
- Do you both listen to the television at the same volume level?
- Does one of you constantly ask the other to repeat themselves?
- Does one of you regularly misunderstand what the other has said?
- Does one of you watch the other’s lips when listening?
- Does one of you turn one ear towards the other when listening?
- Does one of you find higher pitched tones easier to hear than deep tones or vice versa?
If you can say a definite yes to any of the above questions, it is a good idea to book in for a hearing test.
Professional hearing impairment tests
You do not need a medical referral to obtain a professional hearing test from specialist audiologists.
A professional hearing test and impairment assessment from The Hearing Centre can include:
- An assessment of your hearing history, including a discussion around how well you hear now and what aspects of your lifestyle could be affecting your hearing
- A thorough examination of your ear with video otoscopy to check for obstructions or infections
- A full diagnostic assessment using tests to evaluate your hearing function
- Pure tone audiometry tests to show audiogram results of your hearing sensitivity
- Tympanometry and acoustic reflex tests to examine the condition of the middle ear
- LISN-S speech tests to examine how well you understand speech
For more information about the specialist examinations we offer, take a look at our hearing test and assessment page.
Guidance when losing your hearing
If you or someone you are close to is developing a hearing impairment, it can be quite worrying. What we aim to do is to put you at ease by accurately measuring exactly what isn’t working quite so well with your hearing and to present you with the best techniques to help your hearing to stabilise and improve.
Book a hearing test in Leicester or Market Harborough
To book a hearing test with one of our specialist audiologists at either our Leicester or Market Harborough clinics, book an appointment online or call us on 0116 254 3909.